“MIA & EPFO holds campaign to enrol new Establishments & Employees under the social Security umbrella of EPFO”
In order to spread awareness amongst the Employers & Contractors EPFO regional office Nagpur along with MIDC Industries Association, Hingna, Nagpur had organised Awareness Camp in MIA House recently. Mr. Sanath Kumar, Commissioner II along with his team deliberated on various amendments brought in. The main thrust was on launch of Special Campaign from 01.01.2017 to 31.03.2017 to enrol left out eligible workers for bringing them under the social umbrella of EPFO. The campaign seeks to enrol new establishments & Employees.
The Central Government accepting the recommendation of the Board since has notified the scheme for the same. The campaign aims to encourage employers to voluntarily come forward and declare details of all such employees who were entitled for membership between 01.04.2009 to 31.12.2016 under EPF & MP Act 1952, but could not be enrolled. The enrolment drive offers a limited time window to employers to bring all eligible workers under social security net.
According to provisions of Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952, the employer of an establishment covered under the Act is required to enrol all employees drawing wages of up to Rs. 15000/- per month.
The declaration scheme is operational between, January 1st 2017 to March 31st 2017.
Salient features as under :
- The Employee’s share of contribution if declared by the employer as not deducted shall stand waived.
- The damages to be paid by the employer in respect of the employees for whom declaration has been made under this campaign shall be at the rate of Rupee 1 (One) per annum.
- No administrative charges shall be collected from the employer in respect of the contribution made under the declaration.
- A declaration can be made under the campaign for the period for which no inquiry under section 7A has been initiated.
Enabling provision have been made under Para 32(a) of the EPF Scheme 1952 and under Para (5) of Employees Pension Scheme, 1995 and Para 8-A of EDLI Scheme, 1976 to run this campaign. The purpose is to meet the twin objectives of increasing the enrolment, extending social security benefits to employees and reducing unnecessary litigation in courts. The interests of workers enrolled under the campaign remain fully protected and they shall be eligible to get benefits as laid down in the schemes.
Establishments that enrol new employees under the campaign will be eligible to draw benefits available under PRADHAN MANTRI ROJGAR PROTSAHAN YOJANA (PMRPY) as well as PRADHAN MANTRI PARIDHAN ROJGAR PROTSAHAN YOJANA (PMPRY). The Government pays 8.33% contribution of Employers’ share to the Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS) in respect of new employees having UAN. For textile (apparel) sector, the Government additionally pays 3.67% towards EPF contribution for new employees required to be paid by the employers.
EPFO has made special arrangements for the success of the campaign and appropriate assistance will be made available to employers coming forward to extend social security of their employees.
- Special assignment has been given to officers of the rank of Addl. CPFC for effective and efficient implementation in their respective Zones / States.
- Stakeholder meetings will also be conducted with all employers’ and employees’ associations at all levels to have joint efforts to secure social security to all workers.
- A requisite online facility for enrolment of workers is also made available. Employers can submit declarations through their login in the principal employer portal on the EPFO’s website and forward authenticated copy to the concerned RPFC.
It is expected that launch of the enrolment campaign many eligible workers hitherto deprived of membership of schemes under EPF & MP Act, 1952 will finally get membership and consequent due benefits under the scheme.
Any Employer may send during the campaign period , a declaration for membership of the employees. More details of the campaign and FAQS are available at www.epfindia.gov.in and can be accessed at the URL http://www.epfindia.com/site_docs/PDFs/Circulars/Y2016-2017/Coord_FAQ_EEC_04012017.pdf
Programme was attended by more than 40 entrepreneurs. Present on the dias were Mr. Sanath Kumar, Commissioner II of EPFO Nagpur; Capt. C. M. Randhir, President-MIA & Shri C.G. Shegaonkar, Secretary-MIA, Mr. Vashishta Narayan & Ms. Chitra Patharkar of EPFO. Capt. C.M. Randhir concluded the programme by appealing the members to take advantage of the scheme. Vote of thanks were proposed by Mr. C.G. Shegaonkar.